Nov 21, 6:30 – 9:30pm
Creating a Citizenship Preparation Class
In this workshop, participants will explore the essential components of citizenship preparation courses for EAL learners. This workshop will discuss classroom models, course outlines, topics, eligibility and the application process, citizenship test preparation, and resources for students and facilitators. A booklet of related resources will be provided.
Dec 15, Lunch & Learn, 12 – 1:30pm
Teaching CLB 1 & 2
This workshop is for participants who want to develop or enhance their ability to create lessons for CLB 1-2 learners, based on the CLB competencies. By the end of the webinar, participants will have ideas of the specific vocabulary, grammar, and strategies required by CLB 1-2 learners for all the four skill areas.
Jan 23, 6:30 – 9:30pm
Foundations for Task-based Teaching
This workshop introduces participants to the theory and practice of Task-Based Language Teaching (TBLT), an approach to language instruction that is fundamental to the Canadian Language Benchmarks. Participants will learn what a pedagogical task is, identify the principles and practices underlying TBLT, create a task, and design a task-based lesson and assessment.
Feb 20, 6:30 – 9:30pm
In this workshop, participants will identify strategies for Alberta Routes Workshops Booklet assessing learner needs and setting learning goals based on those needs. They will explore strategies and tools for assessing learning outcomes, providing feedback, and encouraging learners to reflect on their own learning.
March 19, 6:30 – 9:30pm
Teaching in a Multi-Level Classroom
In this workshop, participants will explore four strategies for adapting instruction to multi-level classes and discover two classroom activities that work particularly well in multi-level classrooms. They will also become familiar with those parts of the Canadian Language Benchmarks that are particularly useful when planning instruction for multi-level classes.
Apr 5, 2024
More details to come
Selected Past Events:
- 2023 TESL SK, SK TEAL, TESL MB & HeartLand International English School: Moving Forward
- 2022 TESL MB & HeartLand International English School: Emergence: Rebuilding & Transforming
- 2021 TESL MB & HeartLand International English School: Past, Present, Future: Lesson Learned, Present Struggles, and the Road Ahead
- 2019 Conference: Mental Health & Wellness In & Outside the Classroom
- 2018 unConference: Global Peace Index
- 2018 TESL Canada Discussion: an unConference Special Presentation
- 2018 unConference: Literacy Focus
- 2017 Conference: Changing Focus
- 2016 Conference: Connections
The Board Meeting schedule is as follows:
- Nov 6
- Dec 18
- Feb 5
- Mar 18
- May 6
All start at 2:30pm for about 30-45 min.
If you would like to attend, please let us know via email@example.com and we will provide a link.